Friday, July 21, 2006

Terrorism In The Middle East.

In the Corner John Derbyshire writes:
I think I'm pretty familiar with all sides of the argument about the bombing of the King David Hotel in Jerusalem 60 years ago this month. I don't particularly want to get into the pros and cons there.

What I would like someone to explain to me is the current celebration of this terrorist act by Israeli officialdom.

I have been steadfastly pro-Israel, as my archived stuff amply shows. The most common reader reaction to my opinions on the Middle East and its problems has, in fact, been accusations of anti-Arab racism. This Israeli celebration of a terrorist atrocity is, however, shameful and disgraceful.

Especially given Israel's current woes, might not wisdom have dictated that this particular anniversary be passed over in discreet silence?
He is quite correct, the Irgun who carried out the atrocity were pioneers in the field of terrorism and although neither side would admit are on some level. an inspiration for both Hamas and Hezbollah. There would be an element of poetic justice if a stray Hezbollah rocket were to land amidst that vile celebration.

No country can account for all it's lunatics and the Israeli government does not appear to be part of this, but a former Prime Minister is involved so it isn't simply the Israeli equivalents of George Galloway who are involved.

No comments: