Monday, August 27, 2007

Nothing Discovered.

Astronomers are scratching their heads over a puzzling non-discovery, an enormous hole in the universe measuring nearly a billion light-years across.

There really is nothing to the void, which is empty of both normal matter such as stars, galaxies, and gas, and the mysterious, unseen "dark matter" that astronomers detect by its gravitational pull.

I hesitate to offer my humble advice to such eminent astronomers, but when I discover a complete void when looking through my telescope, I usually check to see if I've left the lens cap on. That usually does the trick.

2 comments:

James Higham said...

Words of wisdom, Ross. I did the old lens cp trick myself the otehr day. Felt a right prat.

Ross said...

The other important thing to remember is 'always use the open eye to look through the telescope, because that can be terribly confusing too.