Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Four Months!?

Why has it taken the CPS four months to decide that writing a newspaper column of which Steven Fry disapproves is not actually a crime yet? It took me 4 seconds.

Don't get me wrong I thought that the article Jan Moir wrote after the death of Stephen Gately was distasteful in its timing and illogical in its reasoning ( a gay man died, so did a previous gay man therefore being gay kills!) but the reaction was simply hysterical.

I was tempted to do a "Jan Moir vindicated" post after Alexander MacQueen's death last week, not because I believe that but the idea of attracting a Twitter hate mob is tempting.

7 comments:

JuliaM said...

That's the CPS for you.

Still, maybe the four months was composed of three months, 30.5 days sitting in someone's in tray?

Blognor Regis said...

I wondered why it was trending again.

Twitter is enlightening, I didn't realise how quite stupid most people were before.

Blognor Regis said...

Stephen Fry, in fairness to him, was, I think, quite aghast at what happened too. And then he dropped a massive bollock by insulting Poland live on television...

Ross said...

Julia- I hope that's all it is.

"Twitter is enlightening, I didn't realise how quite stupid most people were before."

I have to agree.

You're right about Fry, when he does do something bad he does seem genuinely sorry afterwards.

asquith said...

Did you read Anton Vowl's observations on the issue?

http://enemiesofreason.co.uk/2010/02/18/pcc-jan-moir-business-as-usual/

I cannot be arsed to set out my own thoughts (too soon after lunch for that) but they largely accord with his.

Ross said...

Asquith he's talking about the complaints to the PCC, not those made to the police and CPS. The latter really are an assault on free speech.

ChrisM said...

"I was tempted to do a "Jan Moir vindicated" post after Alexander MacQueen's death last week"

Brilliant! Coffee all over my keyboard.