Friday, February 19, 2010

In Praise Of Farmers

Yes they may be subsidy hungry moaners but when you're stuck in a snowstorm as I was yesterday (a 15 min journey took 3.5 hours) you gain an appreciation of their work. On a rural back road where each hill was blocked with vehicles that couldn't get up I was a little bit annoyed to see the gritting truck drive past without actually spreading any grit.

Thankfully the local farmers were more helpful and did a good job of towing stranded cars and lorries. They presumably don't get paid for it and they could have been inside watching Emmerdale but no they came out to start getting the road moving.

Sure they probably kept back a few motorists to use in a Wicker Man style human sacrifice however that is but a small price to pay.

8 comments:

Mark Wadsworth said...

"is a Wicker Man style human sacrifice"?

"in"?

Ross said...

Yes, now edited

Furor Teutonicus said...

They presumably don't get paid for it

Don't know about towing. But I have lived/worked (in return for rant) on two farms, and they were contracted by the local council to clear the roads for so far around their property.

Furor Teutonicus said...

RENT!!! DAMN!!!!

Edwin Greenwood said...

"RENT!!! DAMN!!!!"

Oh I don't know, I quite like the original version. It conjures up fascinating images.


I have a fair amount of sympathy for the English farmer. I'm a city boy through and through, having spent 95% of my life in Manchester and London, but due to a seemingly incurable habit of waking up by 05:30 each morning whether I need to or not, I usually catch Farming Today on the steam wireless, and it's quite an eye-opener.

Ross said...

"in return for rant"

If I could pay for things with rants I could make this blog my livelihood.

JuliaM said...

Me too. And Mr Eugenides and DK could retire!

Furor Teutonicus said...

Glad you all appreciateded my display of typing experties.

My Wife DID suggest, as you all, that the origional was better.

Would not know. I tend to wear ear plugs.