Friday, August 14, 2009

Equal Right To Brain Damage

The introduction of women's boxing to the Olympics has been greeted as a step forwards for equality not least by Olympics minister Tessa Jowell. I'm not sure why giving women an equal chance to experience brain damage as men is so brilliant, although given concerns over the decline in the number of female cabinet ministers I can see why Tessa is interested in increasing the available pool.

As I've said before I'm not a fan of boxing although I can't see a rational reason to actively discourage it for women in particular (although I do feel a greater instinctive opposition to it) but nor does it make sense to actually encourage something that has clear harmful effects.

I doubt that the number of women who box would be sufficient to merit a slot in the Olympics for reasons other than sheer tokenism. The reasoning appears to be that anything women and men do in differing proportions must be a problem to be solved.

Oh well, at least they haven't introduced men's rythmic gymnastics yet.

3 comments:

banned said...

Not a fan of boxing either but why not go all the way, the segregation of women is outrageous sexism and should be banned, let the best woman/man/transgendered person win in the same ring.

Ross said...

I'm not sure professional wife beating is really the direction we should be going....

Edwin Greenwood said...

...professional wife beating...

Competing for the Stella Artois cup, perchance?